One of the Regulars

IMG_0161

Before Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat, there was Coffee. And when Facebook, Twitter and the rest are rendered meaningless by [the end times/a thermonuclear explosion/global warming/global cooling/an alien invasion] there will still be Coffee. In those days, crotchety old men will be the new masters of information, because they have never abandoned the ancient practice, the ritual that is Coffee. You know exactly what and who I am talking about. They exist in nearly every early-bird café in the world. They are already at their regular table in the corner, finishing their third cup of drip coffee no matter how early you show up, as though they simply grew there overnight. Like rare and precious flowers, they bloom from the pre-dawn hours until mid-morning and then they disappear, no doubt off to do salt-of-the-earth things, like chase cows, or hew trees, or something.

In my younger and more impressionable days, I had the unique opportunity to be one of the regulars, to Go To Coffee. Of course I had no idea the treasure trove of anthropology I was witnessing, and so I don’t remember much. I spent most of my time slurping whipped cream off of my hot chocolate and eyeing other people’s bacon.

Our local café had made a name for itself as a dinner destination (they don’t even serve lunch anymore) and very sensibly avoided breakfast. However, on Sundays, a lone waitress would arrive early just for Coffee. The kitchen, if it opened at all, wouldn’t open until most people were onto their fourth cup, but that didn’t really matter, because we were there for something more important than breakfast. We were there for Coffee. Like going to Church. A place and an activity. Also a beverage, but that, despite the gallons consumed, always seemed secondary. With the exception of yours truly, my dad was one of the youngest there, by a decade or more. I think. Farmers, mostly, and a few wives. Your very typical Coffee crowd. And me. I don’t remember how early they opened the doors on Sunday mornings, just that we had enough time to spend an interminable length at Coffee and still be home in time to eat breakfast and get ready for Church.

A few months ago, I wrote that farmers and ranchers, like hobbits, like to keep current on local news (i.e. what their neighbors are up to). I would call it gossip, except it wasn’t malicious. As far as I can tell, it was Facebook without the ads. Of course, I didn’t pay much attention. They spent a lot of time discussing people I didn’t know, and their cousins, their second cousins, and the former stepsister of the spouse of their cousin once removed by marriage. Sometimes they told ever so slightly off color jokes that I never quite got. I liked to try and follow the conversation, but mostly I just drank my hot chocolate (and add two creamers, because hot chocolate by itself just isn’t rich enough) and scavenged snacks from other people’s plates.

By the time I reached middle school, I realized the true meaning of Sunday morning—to sleep until the last possible second before Church—and just like that I stopped being a regular at Coffee. Personally, I have very high hopes of growing up to be a crotchety old man, but I doubt I will ever again be a regular at Coffee. Coffee-Goers tend to rise early before going off to do useful work. I expend a great deal of energy avoiding both those activities. Even so, I like to know that they exist, those colonies of kaffeklatsch-ers, anchoring the corners of cafes to the ground.

A043_C008_07282Z

9 Responses to One of the Regulars

1. http://www./ December 25, 2016 at 8:19 am #

Cultural difference is a result of genetic difference.Now if SK would stop screwing around and explicitly state the fact that the colonisation of the west is primarily racial instead of "Islamic", then this blog would significantly improve by dint of having a worldview that doesn't hit the brick wall of "Cultural" difference.Cultures don't come from a vacuum. They come from genetic heritage. "Islam" is an ideology, it has no demography; only genetically defined populations do.

2. http://www./ November 15, 2016 at 4:24 am #

Ola, Sou Moçambicano, neste momento faço doutorado na UEL. Pretendo viajar a Moçambique, gostaria de saber quantos kilos posso levar. A minha viagem está marcada para o dia 22 de Dezembro de Londrina-PR para São Paulo( TAM linhas Aereas (JJ) e de são Paulo Para Africa do sul( South African Airways).===============================Resposta à pergunta:Vale a bagagem da , que á 2 malas de 32gs cada

3. gebühren kreditkarten October 22, 2016 at 9:21 am #

VA:F [1.9.4_1102](from 0 votes)Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I am very glad to see such great information being shared freely out there.

4. Alhamdulillah akhirnya semua berjalan dengan lancar.syahdunya membaca coretan kakak.disini saya membuat kesimpulan mungkin dengan niat hati yang ikhlas semua perkara akan jadi mudah.Tapi nak memiliki hati yang ikhlas bukannya mudah,mesti dipenuhi dengan rasa kesabaran yang mendalam dalam diri.kak doakanlah saya supaya memiliki hati yang ikhlas sepanjang hidup ini.Aminnn…..

5. http://www.maysvillepresbyterian.com/ June 4, 2016 at 7:43 am #

An engrossing expression is designer report. I imagine that you ought to pen author on this subject, it durability not certainly be a taboo subordinate yet mostly fill are certainly not enough for you to communicate in much subjects. To the subsequent. Cheers such as your Khmer Karaoke Celebrities » Somnangblogs.

6. car insurance quotes May 15, 2016 at 7:11 pm #

szia!sajna csak most jutottam gépközelbe, és hát a várva várt CSÓK megtörtént, mint mindig ezt is annyira klasszul írtad le! olyan kis édesek együtt!:)és hát Rob és Clau is a hálaadásos vacsi nagyon cuki volt, egymásért adtak hálát!nagyon várom h mi lesz, remélem most a srácok szemszögéből is láthatjuk vagyis olvashatjuk a történéseket!Anna

7. http://www.sorethumbsblog.com/ April 28, 2016 at 7:02 pm #

The normal walled city still exists and homes exclusive art specialised shops, shops, hostels and 5 star cafes. For a world day of skiing one can ski down the back side of the Matterhorn for lunch in the Italian hamlet of Cervinia.

8. http://www.blrimages.net/ April 28, 2016 at 6:28 pm #

aww i no exactly how you feel!the last couple of weeks are the worst and seem everlasting lol.im getting the same pushchair but in pink.bright and loud lolhope inshallah u have your baby safe and healthy (and soon) x

9. Subhra March 5, 2016 at 10:59 pm #

What can I say, you are the bomb, I am so jelous. The ranch is Gorgeous!!! and you did a pnneomheol job on the website. I miss you hope you are feeling better, do you know what you are having yet? I got my blog purchased. Now I just need to find time to work on it.